Maha Shivratri, a major Hinduism festival dedicated to Lord Shiva, is one. Shivratri falls during the month of Phalgun (February-March) on the fourteenth day (Chaturdashi), of the waning moon phase (Krishna Paksha). This year, Shivratri falls Tuesday, March 1, 2022. These are some things you should know in order to celebrate Shivratri correctly and receive the blessings from Lord Shiva.
What you must do on Mahashivratri
- As much as possible, keep a Shivratri Vigil. You should not sleep all night, but spend the night contemplating spirituality.
- Sing songs, chant mantras, and listen to the stories of Lord Shiva.
- Visit the Shiva temples. A prayer is offered in most Shiva temples throughout the night. Participate in the nightly prayers.
- You can perform pujas and prayers at home if you are able. You can start the puja at sunset on Shivratri, and go on until the dawn.
- Offering Bilvaleaves and white flowers, water from Ganges, sacred Ash, sandalwood paste and milk to Shiva. It is considered auspicious.
- Donate Prasad food, clothing, and other items at the end of Shivratri puja.
What you must not do on Mahashivratri
- Shivratri, unlike other festivals, is not for feasting and merrymaking. Spend time with the Lord, contemplate Him, visit temples, perform Shiv puja at your home, and engage in spiritual activities.
- If you are on a fast, do not sleep during Shivratri. Keep your eyes open all night, sing the Divine Glories and chant the mantras to the Lord.
- You should not waste your time watching TV or playing games during Shivratri. Avoid indulgences of any kind. Spend your time solely worshiping the Lord.
- Do not resort to lies and quarrels. Avoid eating non-vegetarian foods. Avoid alcohol and other addictive substances.
How to Celebrate Mahashivratri
Most people are asking me how to celebrate Shivaratri. Shivratri is a day when worship and rituals are more important. As with other Hindu festivals, there is no fun or merrymaking. It is a day for renunciation, prayer, and fasting. It is a day of renunciation and prayer. On this day, Lord Shiva appeared as Jyotirlinga. It is a lingam that has no beginning or end and symbolizes Brahman.
One should live a life of non-violence every day. There are also things such as not to lie and to be strict brahmacharya. These things should be done every day. To be compassionate, one does not need to wait until Shivaratri.
Most people fast on Shivaratri Day by repeating the panchakshari mantra, ‘om Namah Shivaya.
Next, keep vigil through the night and worship Lord Shiva. It is highly auspicious to worship Shiva with Bilva leaves.
You can bathe your Shivling in water at night if it is at home. Avoid using curd, honey, sugar, and milk. Shiva will accept anything if it is given with the utmost devotion.
You can observe the day even if you’re unable to keep your eyes open at night or observe fast.
How to do Mahashivratri Vrat
For those who choose to observe the Shivratri vrat, it involves being awake for 24 hours and staying awake for the whole night. The Shivratri Vrat will begin on Tuesday, March 1, 2022. During the vrat period, those who are on a complete fast must not consume any water. Some people drink water only, while others prefer to have fruits and milk. To conclude the fast, Shiva’s Prasad (or Shiva’s Water) is taken at the end of the vrat. Perform puja to Lord Shiva at home or in the temple if possible.
WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE SHIVRATRI VRAT?
1. Setting the mental stage to deep meditation
Fasting cleanses the body and purifies your mind. As the feeling of restlessness decreases, your body will feel lighter and your mind will feel more relaxed. The mind also becomes more alert. This makes the mind more open to prayer and meditation, which are the main aspects of Mahashivratri celebrations.
2. Prayers that increase the power
Your mind and body will be more clear and you will have greater faith in your prayers and intentions. You can increase your chances of seeing your dreams come true by combining the Shivratri fast and meditation. If you keep the Shivratri fast with sincerity, devotion, and love Lord Shiva, you will receive his grace. Your wishes will be fulfilled.
3. Meditation is a way to focus.
Mahashivratri, which is the day when mediation is 100 times more effective than any other day, is why devotees only focus on meditating this auspicious day. Fasting allows you to take control of your body’s natural processes so that you can be one with yourself.
4. You are forgiven of your sins
Fasting can help you get rid of negative emotions such as anger, greed, lust, and angst. Fasting and chanting the Lord’s names can be believed to absolve you of all your sins. Some people can survive on only water or milk, while others rely on very few easily digestible foods. Here are some tips for healthy fasting during Mahashivratri.
Also Read :- Importance of Mahashivratri
Manthanhub has trained lots of people to achieve celibacy via their youtube channel and through their courses. You can take exclusive courses of manthanhub for your tremendous transformation. For getting more details about the courses you can click here.